Gaming has an impact on psychological functioning. In our previous articles, we went through quite a negative impact results in the following subjects – gaming addiction and gaming addiction prevention. Now we are going to see the overall impact, good and bad.
Yes, we have to mention the good sides of gaming. Like any other activity, if you don’t do it too much, it can be useful for your general development but otherwise, it can destroy you.
So, let’s dive into different aspects of gaming impact on psychological functioning.
Gaming is lifting up your abilities. Which ones?
Some games are very dynamic so they require players to move quickly, having in mind many items at the same time. They push players to make very quick decisions and to stay focused for hours. Having in mind a lot of information and use them properly is only one of the challenges of gaming and one of the hell task.
Written above will lead you to the conclusion that gaming can improve your functions. Let’s look at some of them:
- With gaming, your sensitivity to spotting easily different shades of colors that are not easily visible to other people can increase.
- Some researchers got the results that gaming can help decrease Amblyopia.
- Spatial attention, which is well known as important for example during driving, can be improved if you play video games. Your ability to quickly locate a target in total chaos and distractors.
- Simultaneously doing tasks is a must-have in almost every job today. Well, video games can help you to improve that too.
- You can increase your mental flexibility. Your ability to switch rapidly between tasks that have unconnectable content, and all that with minimal or no mistakes.
- Working memory and abstract reasoning can be also improved.
- Job performance can be improved especially in jobs where you need good eye-hand coordination, focus, working memory, and decision-making in the moment.
These examples are only a few from what we found during research on this subject. Since gaming is a still new field in the researching world, it is important to take all these facts with a grain of salt.
Another tip is – dose it!
The other side of the story
Of course, if you overload your brain with gaming, maybe these functions will improve but maybe they will not. Maybe other functions will decrease.
To be specific, psychological functioning is much more complex than a few items we mentioned above. Maybe you will improve some vision problems but playing games uncontrollably can also, for example, damage your vision since you are looking at the monitor for hours.
All these focusing abilities and power of working simultaneously can drop into the black hole if your back hurts for instance. Your anxiety from the real world can also increase (and lower down your focus) if you are running away from your problems through gaming and not to mention many other social and health problems (we mentioned in previous articles) that can occur from too much gaming and virtual world.
Long story short
People like to compare Esports to regular sports and there are similarities. One of them is that is important to have a plan for training and playing – which includes, among other things, eating healthy and resting enough.
An overtrained athlete is not going to have great success and will not last long. The athlete will not be successful if he repeats his sport discipline over and over. He has to do other exercises, like the gym, stretch, running, etc. In gaming, an example would be eye exercises, back exercises, fingers warm-up, walking, and all other things we mentioned in the last article.
It is your task and responsibility to spot the moment when your performance is starting to roll down. When your life is rolling down. If you can’t see it we believe the environment will see it, you just have to listen to what people who care about you are trying to say and be realistic.
Maybe you are high in gaming right now, but if you are not responsible it is a matter of time when you will start falling down. You don’t want that.
In the next article, we will analyze some differences and similarities between Esports and regular sports.
Follow us and stay tuned!